How do you get a pay rise from your boss? What should you say? How should you act?
This episode of The Australian Finance Podcast talks pay rises and earning more.
Is This You?
If you didn’t negotiate your last salary or haven’t asked for a raise in a while, you probably used one of these excuses:
- The timing just isn’t good right now
- I work for the government, so I can’t really negotiate
- This is my first job, so I don’t want to ask for more and lose the offer
- The thought of negotiation makes me anxious… I don’t know what to say
- The economy is terrible. My company is struggling.
- If I just work harder, my boss will notice me.
Here’s The Reality
Companies rarely approach you with their best offer, and they’ll probably have a scale that they can negotiate between. If you don’t ask for the higher amount it means more savings to them.
Working harder isn’t enough to get most of us a raise – we have to ask for it.