Gaurav Sodhi is Deputy Head of Research at Intelligent Investor, an investor and prolific investment writer. Given that I have followed him for many years, speaking to Gaurav Sodhi on The Australian Investors Podcast was a real treat for me.
Note: given that Gaurav wanted to walk around to make cups of tea and do a family puzzle while being interviewed by me, we did this interview as audio-only. I’m incredibly surprised he could answer some of my most difficult questions while doing such things! I think it goes to show well Gaurav can juggle multiple ideas at one time!
Watch Gaurav now on YouTube (audio only)
Listen to Gaurav on your favourite podcast app
Gaurav Sodhi is Deputy Head of Research at Intelligent Investor, arguably Australia’s leading independent ASX stock research and membership program.
Gaurav started his working career as a researcher and then, through a chance interview, he came across while driving across New Zealand with a friend (featuring Platinum’s Kerr Neilson), Gaurav’s spark for investing took flight. It then took him two years to land a job at Intelligent Investor.
In this episode, I — Owen — and Gaurav talk about:
- The power of economics in explaining the world
- How drug cartels are similar to McDonalds
- The power of writing for investors
- The tricks and games used to recruit analysts
- Why Guarav isn’t fazed by ESG and ethical investing
- Why value investing needs to evolve to include storytelling
Some of the stocks mentioned in the discussion include:
- Whitehaven Coal Ltd (ASX: WHC)
- New Hope Corporation Ltd (ASX: NHC)
- Uniti Group (ASX: UWL)
- Telstra Corp (ASX: TLS)
- Meta Platforms Inc (NASDAQ: META)
- McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD)
- Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO)
Read Gaurav’s stock research on Intelligent Investor:
Join The Intelligent Investor & save
This podcast is brought to you by The Intelligent Investor, Australia’s premier investment research membership service. Use the code “RASK”, to get $100 off your annual membership or get a free 15-day trial (no credit card details required):
➜ Join the discussion on Twitter
Date recorded: 15th of June 2022