Site menu

Search by ticker code:
Generic filters

Menu

Search by ticker code:
Generic filters

Search by ticker code:
Generic filters

Rio Tinto (ASX:RIO) share price falls despite big acquisition proposal

The Rio Tinto Limited (ASX: RIO) share price has dipped 4.6% today despite announcing the proposed acquisition of Turquoise Hill.

Anchor your portfolio with these top 20 dividend growth ASX shares

The iron price fell 6.2% overnight, leading to losses across the iron ore miners including Fortescue Metals Group Limited (ASX: FMG) and BHP Group Ltd (ASX: BHP).

What is the offer?

Turquoise Hill shareholders will receive C$34.00 (AU$36.84) per share, which is a 32% premium to the company’s last closing share price on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

The bid offers Turquoise Hill at approximately US$2.70 billion (AU$3.75 billion).

Rio Tinto already has an existing 51% ownership of Turquoise Hill. It proposes to acquire the remaining 49% of outstanding shares.

Why is Rio interested in Turquoise Hill?

Turquoise Hill owns a stake in the Oyu Tolgoi copper project located in Mongolia.

Rio Tinto and the Mongolian government are also shareholders in the project.

By purchasing Turquoise Hill, Rio Tinto increases its holding in the project to 66%. The remainder is owned by the Mongolian government.

It will create a more simple ownership structure and provides a chance for Turquoise Hill shareholders to realise immediate value:

“…[the transaction] provides Turquoise Hill minority shareholders with the ability to realise compelling, immediate and certain value for their shares at a time when uncertainties inherent in the development of the underground operations and funding of such development remain”

Will Turquoise Hill accept the offer?

The Oyu Tolgoi project has been plagued by past disputes over the expansion of the mine.

But fortunately, Rio Tinto and the Mongolian government recently ‘reset’ the relationship.

Rio waived the right to US$2.4 billion in debt owed in exchange for the government agreeing to several matters such as where the mine would source its power.

“Rio Tinto strongly believes in the long-term success of Oyu Tolgoi and Mongolia, and delivering for all stakeholders over the long-term”

There is a possibility Turquoise Hill reject the proposal. In that case, the existing ownership structure would remain:

“Should Turquoise Hill investors not accept the Proposed Transaction, Rio Tinto welcomes their continued investment and equal share of future risks and funding obligations”

What next for the Rio share price?

If the proposed acquisition is accepted by Turquoise Hill, the Rio share price will likely rise on the news.

Analysts have been largely bullish on the deal, believing it will be accretive to Rio Tinto’s bottom line.

$50,000 per year in passive income from shares? Yes, please!

With interest rates UP, now could be one of the best times to start earning passive income from a portfolio. Imagine earning 4%, 5% — or more — in dividend passive income from the best shares, LICs, or ETFs… it’s like magic.

So how do the best investors do it?

Chief Investment Officer Owen Rask has just released his brand new passive income report. Owen has outlined 10 of his favourite ETFs and shares to watch, his rules for passive income investing, why he would buy ETFs before LICs and more.

You can INSTANTLY access Owen’s report for FREE by CLICKING HERE NOW and creating a 100% FREE Rask Account.

(Psst. By creating a free Rask account, you’ll also get access to 15+ online courses, 1,000+ podcasts, invites to events, a weekly value investing newsletter and more!)

Unsubscribe anytime. Read our TermsFinancial Services GuidePrivacy Policy. We’ll never sell your email address. Our company is Australian owned.

Information warning: The information on this website is published by The Rask Group Pty Ltd (ABN: 36 622 810 995) is limited to factual information or (at most) general financial advice only. That means, the information and advice does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It is not specific to you, your needs, goals or objectives. Because of that, you should consider if the advice is appropriate to you and your needs, before acting on the information. If you don’t know what your needs are, you should consult a trusted and licensed financial adviser who can provide you with personal financial product advice. In addition, you should obtain and read the product disclosure statement (PDS) before making a decision to acquire a financial product. Please read our Terms and Conditions and Financial Services Guide before using this website. The Rask Group Pty Ltd is a Corporate Authorised Representative (#1280930) of AFSL #383169.

At the time of publishing, Lachlan does not have a financial or commercial interest in any of the companies or funds mentioned.
Skip to content