Pete Wargent joined me on The Australian Investors Podcast for a candid conservation about life, careers, money, finance and Australian property investing.
My guest for this episode is Pete Wargent of Petewarget.com.
Pete is one of Australia’s leading property economists and investors, a best selling author and blogger. Having reached financial independence at 33, Pete is now a regular on TV and splits his time between the UK and Noosa.
From the outside, Pete’s journey seems to include success after success. However, as you’ll discover in this conversation Pete’s journey included many ups and downs, hard work and sacrifice.
I know you’ll enjoy this episode of The Australian Investors Podcast with Pete Wargent.
- 0:00 – Why Pete has written a new book for parents and teens “Wealth Ways For The Young”
- 6:00 – Pete’s early life and growing up in South Yorkshire (9min)
- 16:00 – Assets are more important than income, Pete finds this out after looking at the ‘personal’ balance sheets of rich clients and the investments of her now wife
- 18:00 – How Pete met his wife at work
- 24:00 – Dealing with anxiety, panic attacks and pressure, and what was holding him back
- 31:00 – Is the best investment a great partner?
- 32:00 – Knowing what your personal assets and liabilities are and mean for your future
- 35:00 – How Pete learned how to invest in shares, index funds and property
- 40:00 – Pete’s cleanse before he began to invest and a goal of 10 properties in 10 years.
- 43:30 – Why is property the best investment for the average investor?
- 46:00 – Do you really want to own property? Start with ‘Why?’.
- 53:00 – Why a focus on quality works
- 57:00 – two ways to get in trouble – buy off the plan or buy a property in a bidding war during a strong market
- 1:03:00 – Start investing outside of property
- 1:04:00 – Independent by 33, does that mean mortgage free? Pete’s $3 million target.
- 1:06:00 – Don’t start your day off looking at emails, that can set you off on the wrong foot for the day
- 1:10:00 – Why Australian property can’t continue outperforming shares (as a whole)
- 1:15:00 – What’s Pete’s outlook for the next two years? Is it as bad as it seems? Note: Supply-responsive suburbs/markets are almost always hit the hardest.
- 1:20:00 – Pete’s answer to what he would tell a younger him: “start now and surround yourself with positive people”
Learn more about Pete:
Finding ASX shares offering exceptional long term growth and dividends over 3% is rare. Fortunately, the Rask Group's top expert investment analyst has released a FREE investing report which reveals 3 proven ASX shares.
These three companies have proven themselves to be reliable dividend + growth shares over a decade. Click here to get instant access to his report.
Past performance is not indicative of future performance but as he says in his report, there are many reasons to keep a close watch on these 3 shares in 2019 and beyond.
Absolutely no credit card details or payment required.
Disclaimer: Any information contained in this article is limited to general financial/investment advice only. The information has not taken into account your specific needs, goals or objectives, so please consider consulting a licenced and trusted adviser before acting on the information. Please read The Rask Group’s Financial Services Guide (FSG) for more information. This article is authorised by Owen Raszkiewicz of The Rask Group, which is a corporate authorised representative No. 1264179 of Strawman Pty Ltd (ACN: 610 908 211) (AFSL: 501 223).