Chris Brycki is the founder of Stockspot, Australia’s largest robo investment adviser, and a brilliant thinker. He sat down with me to record an episode of The Australian Investors Podcast.
Indeed, Chris is a very intelligent, evidence-based investor, who is applying his efforts to changing our industry for the better. He’s a big advocate for investing via index funds and ETFs, and keeping costs low inside and outside of Super.
Chris is a member of the Cancer Council’s investment committee and ASIC’s board for digital innovation.
Tune In To The Australian Investors Podcast With Chris
I could have chatted to Chris for hours because I really enjoyed his candour and insights about portfolio management. I think every investor, beginner to advanced, should consider his insights in developing robust portfolio management strategies of their own.
BEFORE YOU LISTEN – LEARN – WTF IS AN ETF?
- 0:45: Intro to Chris
- 1:30 – A tense conversation
- 2:40 – Chris’ journey to investing and a $1,000 challenge
- 6:00 – Tips for getting children excited in investing and finance (explain what shares represent, how you can own a business, sharemarket games, etc.)
- 8:45 – Joining UBS and getting an all expenses paid trip to London to have cavier on the London Eye
- 11:30 – Chris is made redundant during the GFC
- 13:30 – Why Chris felt the time was right to start StockSpot
- 15:30 – What is StockSpot and why is it called StockSpot?
- 18:30 – Is a Chris a tech guy?
- 21:00 – What the heck is “robo advice” and StockSpot one of those?
- 24:30 – Why does StockSpot use ETFs and why did Chris stop ‘picking’ individual shares?
- 27:30 – Is “risk” just volatility or is it the chance of losing money?
- 33:00 – Why does Chris own gold and how does he get that exposure?
- 36:30 – What Chris looks for in ETFs: Physically backed ETFs, cost, liquidity and slippage/spreads. (ETF research paper)
- 43:30 – What is a ‘Smart Beta’ or ‘Factor ETF’?
- 49:00 – Fat Cats of the Super industry
- 54:00 – Why and how the biggest Super funds could be hiding more risk in ‘balanced strategies’
- 57:30 – 3 Ways Chris would fix the Super system
- 1:01:30 – Active fund managers with 0% management fees
- 1:04:30 – Chris’ good podcasts, books and resources
My Favourite Quote: “the incentives of people providing the money aren’t aligned with people managing the money”
Further Reading & Education:
- What is an ETF? (with video)
- What is an index fund? (with video)
- Smart Beta and Factor ETFs Explained (with video)
- Stockspot ETF Report
- Stockspot Fat Cat Funds Report
- PODCAST: Masters In Business
Learn more about Chris:
Disclaimer: Any information contained in this article is limited to general financial/investment advice only. The information has not taken into account your specific needs, goals or objectives, so please consider consulting a licenced and trusted adviser before acting on the information. Please read The Rask Group’s Financial Services Guide (FSG) for more information. This article is authorised by Owen Raszkiewicz of The Rask Group, which is a corporate authorised representative No. 1264179 of Strawman Pty Ltd (ACN: 610 908 211) (AFSL: 501 223).